Welcome to the wild world of SEO niches! If you’re not familiar with this concept, allow us to explain: a niche is a specific, targeted area of focus within a broader market. In the world of SEO, niches can be anything from “Unicorn-themed party supplies” to “Hand-painted rock garden decor.”
Now, we know what you might be thinking: “Hand-painted rock garden decor? Is that even a thing?” And the answer is, of course it is! In the world of SEO, there’s a niche for just about everything. And believe it or not, there are probably people out there searching for hand-painted rock garden decor as we speak.
So if you’re a business owner looking to dominate your particular corner of the internet, you’ll want to find your SEO niche and hone in on it. And if you’re not sure where to start, don’t worry – we’ve got you covered. In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of finding your SEO niche and how it can help you stand out in a crowded online market. So sit back, relax, and let’s dive into the exciting (and sometimes bizarre) world of SEO niches!
Table of Contents
- What are SEO niches?
- How to find a profitable niche with low competition
- Some blogging niches to get you thinking
- SEO niches tools and resources
- Final Thoughts
What are SEO niches?
Whether you are an aspiring blogger or business owner you need to know about SEO niches. You’ve probably heard a lot about SEO (search engine optimization), it’s an essential skill needed to get search traffic to your website without paying for ads.
Focusing on SEO for your niche content will result in content that ranks well in Google and attracts the right audience to your website.
Here are some reasons why SEO niches are important:
- stand out from the competition
- attract a more targeted audience
- helps you create more relevant and useful content for your audience
- build trust and credibility in your niche
How to find a profitable niche with low competition
You will need to spend time researching what niche you want to target. Don’t skimp on the research, otherwise you can end up with a website that doesn’t get any traffic!
I mentioned in the heading about low competition niches. This is because many of the niches will already have large websites on the internet covering them. It’s really hard to compete with an established website so I recommend trying to find a smaller niche that you can dominate – or at least compete successfully in.
You don’t need to change the area you want to focus on – just niche down more. You can always be more specific, more tightly focused on your niche content.
How to niche down more
You can narrow your focus when blogging to focus more on a smaller audience by:
- focus on a location, e.g. instead of US, you can focus on Florida or South Florida
- focus on a demographic, e.g. instead of fitness, focus on fitness for 50 years or older, or fitness during pregnancy
- more specific, e.g. instead of fitness, focus on strength training, or strength training using resistance bands
Identify your target
As with any aspect of SEO, it’s important to know who you’re targeting. Who are the people you want to reach with your content? What are their interests and needs? Understanding your target audience will help you come up with niches that will resonate with them.
Use keyword research tools
Your blog or website will not be successful unless you get a large amount of traffic to your website. There are various ways of achieving this, including:
- Organic search traffic (your content ranks on the first page of Google)
- Pay for ads
- Social media promotion
- Build a mailing list
All of these strategies can work. Still, I suggest starting with generating organic search traffic to your website first.
Once you have substantial traffic you can consider paying for ads or other strategies.
Later in this article I will explain how to use a keyword research tool to help you find keywords for your niche.
Look at your competition
Why not look to see what your competition is focusing on? You can use competitive research tools to spy on your competitors!
Don’t steal their content but feel free to steal their keywords, topics and strategies that are working for them.
By looking at your competition you can avoid niches that are too difficult for you to compete in. Once your website is established with plenty of organic traffic you can always decide to expand your niche to cover more topics later.
Examine your competitors ads (using a competition research tool), find out what keywords they are paying ads for. This can be helpful for you in coming up with your own strategy.
Make a list of relevant topics
Once you’ve identified your target audience and done some keyword research, start making a list of relevant topics that you think would be good niches for your business or blog.
Be sure to include low competition keywords, which are more specific and easier to rank for at the beginning. As your blog grows and your get more traffic you will be able to rank for more difficult (and profitable) keywords.
High traffic low competition niches
With so much competition out there, it can be tough to stand out. That’s where high traffic low competition niches come in. These are specific areas or topics that have a lot of search volume but relatively low competition, which means you have a better chance of ranking well in search results and attracting the right audience to your site.
Let’s look at how you use a keyword research tool to find those keywords. I’ll use SE Ranking SEO tool but other tools will have similar features.
Keyword searches in SE Ranking give you a large number of keywords but you can’t rank for most of them. That’s why it’s important to apply filters to find the most relevant keywords for your niche.
Above is a screenshot of the filters you can apply to keyword searches. For our purposes, finding low competition and high traffic keywords we only need a few filters.
These are the follow filters I apply:
- Word count
Difficulty is the most important metric. It estimates keyword ranking difficulty. Most keywords, if you don’t have plenty of organic traffic already, will be too difficult for you to rank for.
Select a max difficult score of 15. You can go higher if you already receive some organic traffic.
Select a minimum word count of 3. Keywords with fewer than 3 words lack enough context to understand user intent. They are also more difficult to rank for generally.
Select a max competition of 0.3. This metric estimated the amount of competition for that keyword. At first you want to target keywords with low competition as this will make it easier to rank for.
Use bigger figures for these filters once you have more organic traffic to your website. This will give you a bigger pool of keywords to choose from and allow you to target more competitive – and profitable – keywords.
Let’s look at the keyword search “rock garden decor”, first without any filters:
There are plenty of keywords but many of them will be too difficult to rank for, especially for new or small websites. All the keywords with a yellow difficulty should be ignored.
Let’s try the same search but this time applying the filters described above:
This time we get much fewer results but more relevant for us. The original keyword search “rock garden decor” is always shown but the other keywords all match our filters.
The report gives use the following keywords:
- landscape rock & pea gravel decorative garden stones for landscaping
- black and tan slate chips decorative garden stones landscape rock
- rocks for garden decoration
- decorative garden stones and rocks
The first of those has 50 searches per month with 0 competition and a difficulty of 14. Not bad!
Niche content focused on your target audience
As a blogger or an online business owner, you know that creating high-quality content is crucial for attracting and retaining an audience. For profitable niche content, it’s especially important to make sure your content is not only informative and engaging, but also highly converting.
Your content should encourage your readers to take a specific action, such as making a purchase or signing up for a newsletter.
So, how do you write high converting niche content? Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Identify your target audience: To write high converting niche content, you need to know who you’re targeting. Who are the people you want to reach with your content? What are their interests and needs? Understanding your target audience will help you create content that resonates with them and encourages them to take action.
- Understand your niche: It’s important to have a deep understanding of your niche in order to create high converting content. Take the time to research and learn as much as you can about your topic so that you can provide valuable, accurate information to your readers.
- Use compelling headlines: A strong headline is essential for grabbing the attention of your readers and encouraging them to click through to your content. Make sure your headlines are clear, concise, and compelling.
- Use clear and concise language: Use clear and concise language that is easy for your readers to understand. Avoid jargon and complicated terms, and focus on providing straightforward, actionable information.
- Use visuals and formatting: Use images, bullet points, lists and other visual formatting to make your content more engaging and easy to read.
- Use calls to action: A call to action (CTA) is a specific request or instruction that tells your readers what to do next. It could be something like “Sign up for our newsletter” or “Buy now.” Make sure to include clear and compelling CTAs throughout your content to encourage your readers to take action.
Remember to always put your readers first and focus on providing valuable, actionable information that meets their needs. With the right approach, you can create content that drives traffic, sales, and success for your business or blog.
Some blogging niches to get you thinking
No idea what blogging niches you should target? Well, let me give you a few ideas you can consider. These are just a random list of niches but they may give you some ideas of your own.
This niche focuses on growing food in urban areas, often using small spaces such as balconies or rooftops.
Suggested blog articles:
- Introduction to urban farming
- Getting started with urban farming
- Urban farming techniques
- Creative solutions for small space farming
- Seasonal planting guides
- Recipes featuring urban-grown produce
- Urban farming resources
Zero waste living
This niche covers topics related to reducing waste and living a more sustainable lifestyle.
- “10 Simple Steps to a Zero Waste Home”
- “The Zero Waste Kitchen: Tips and Tricks for a Waste-Free Cooking Experience”
- “5 Surprising Benefits of a Zero Waste Lifestyle”
- “How to Shop Zero Waste: A Guide to Plastic-Free Grocery Shopping”
- “The Zero Waste Bathroom: Tips and Products for a Waste-Free Routine”
- “From Trash to Treasure: 10 Creative Upcycling Ideas for Your Home”
- “5 Zero Waste Swaps to Make Today”
- “The Zero Waste Traveler: Tips for a Waste-Free Vacation”
- “The Zero Waste Wardrobe: How to Create a Sustainable Closet”
- “How to Host a Zero Waste Event: Tips and Tricks for a Waste-Free Gathering”
This niche covers the topic of luxury camping, or “glamping.” This can include reviews of glamping destinations, tips for setting up a glamping trip, and ideas for luxurious camping gear.
- “The Ultimate Guide to Glamping: Tips and Tricks for a Luxurious Camping Experience”
- “10 Gorgeous Glamping Destinations to Add to Your Bucket List”
- “5 Must-Have Glamping Accessories for Your Next Trip”
- “The Best Glamping Tents for a Comfortable and Stylish Outdoor Adventure”
- “How to Plan the Perfect Glamping Trip: A Step-by-Step Guide”
- “10 Delicious Glamping Recipes for a Gourmet Camping Experience”
- “5 Unforgettable Glamping Experiences to Try”
- “The Best Glamping Spots for a Romantic Getaway”
- “How to Create the Perfect Glamping Setup: Ideas and Inspiration”
- “The Top Glamping Resorts and Campsites Around the World”
This niche covers the topic of sustainable and ethical fashion, including topics such as slow fashion, eco-friendly fashion, and fair trade clothing.
- 10 Tips for Building a Sustainable and Ethical Wardrobe”
- “5 Surprising Facts About Fast Fashion and Its Impact”
- “The Best Ethical Fashion Brands for a Conscious Closet”
- “10 Ways to Shop Ethically for Fashion”
- “5 Ethical Fashion Brands That Give Back”
- “The Top Ethical Fashion Blogs and Instagram Accounts to Follow”
- “10 Ethical Fashion Tips for Men”
- “5 Ethical Fashion Brands for Kids”
- “The Best Ethical Fashion Podcasts for Fashion-Lovers”
- “10 Ethical Fashion Brands That Use Sustainable Materials”
DIY natural beauty
This niche covers homemade beauty products made with natural ingredients, including topics such as skincare, haircare, and makeup.
- “10 Easy DIY Natural Beauty Recipes for Glowing Skin”
- “5 Natural Beauty Hacks for a Flawless Complexion”
- “The Best Natural Beauty Ingredients for Your Skin Type”
- “DIY Natural Beauty: How to Make Your Own Skincare Products”
- “The Top Natural Beauty Products for a Chemical-Free Routine”
- “10 Natural Beauty Tips for a Radiant Look”
- “5 DIY Natural Beauty Recipes for Shiny, Healthy Hair”
- “The Best Natural Beauty Tips for a Sustainable Skincare Routine”
- “DIY Natural Beauty: How to Make Your Own Makeup”
- “The Top Natural Beauty Brands for a Clean and Green Beauty Regimen”
This niche covers the topic of caring for houseplants, including tips for plant care, ideas for plant-themed home decor, and profiles of different types of plants.
- “10 Tips for Successful Plant Parenting”
- “5 Houseplants that Thrive in Low Light”
- “The Best Plants for Beginner Plant Parents”
- “How to Create a Beautiful Indoor Jungle: Plant Parenting Tips and Tricks”
- “10 Low-Maintenance Houseplants for Busy Plant Parents”
- “5 Houseplants That Purify the Air”
- “The Best Plant Parenting Products for Your Green Thumb”
- “10 Ideas for Plant-Themed Home Decor”
- “5 Houseplants That Are Easy to Propagate”
- “The Top Plant Parenting Blogs and Instagram Accounts to Follow”
This niche covers the topic of maximizing rewards and discounts for travel, including tips for finding cheap flights, maximizing credit card rewards, and finding the best hotel deals.
- “The Ultimate Guide to Travel Hacking: Tips and Tricks for Cheap Flights and Hotel Deals”
- “10 Ways to Maximize Credit Card Rewards for Your Next Trip”
- “5 Surprising Travel Hacks for a Budget-Friendly Vacation”
- “The Best Travel Hacking Apps and Tools for Finding Cheap Flights”
- “How to Get Started with Travel Hacking: A Beginner’s Guide”
- “10 Tips for Finding the Best Hotel Deals”
- “5 Travel Hacks for a Luxurious Vacation on a Budget”
- “The Top Travel Hacking Blogs and Resources to Follow”
- “How to Use Travel Hacking to Save Money on Your Next Adventure”
- “10 Travel Hacks for a Stress-Free Vacation”
This niche covers the topic of creative journaling using art and mixed media techniques. This can include ideas for journal prompts, tutorials for different art techniques, and profiles of artists who use art journaling in their work.
- “10 Inspiring Art Journaling Techniques to Try”
- “5 Creative Art Journaling Ideas for Beginners”
- “The Best Art Journaling Supplies and Materials”
- “How to Start an Art Journal: A Beginner’s Guide”
- “10 Art Journaling Prompts to Spark Your Creativity”
- “5 Art Journaling Techniques for Expressing Your Emotions”
- “The Top Art Journaling Blogs and Instagram Accounts to Follow”
- “10 Art Journaling Ideas for Healing and Self-Discovery”
- “5 Art Journaling Techniques for Mixing Media”
- “The Best Art Journaling Books and Resources for Inspiration”
Mythology and folklore
This niche covers the topic of ancient myths and folklore from around the world. This can include explorations of different mythological traditions, analyses of popular myths, and profiles of mythical creatures.
- “10 Fascinating Mythological Traditions from Around the World”
- “5 Popular Myths and Their Origins”
- “The Best Books and Resources for Learning About Mythology and Folklore”
- “10 Mythical Creatures and Their Legends”
- “5 Myths and Folktales from Ancient Civilizations”
- “The Top Mythology and Folklore Blogs and Instagram Accounts to Follow”
- “10 Myths and Folktales for Kids”
- “5 Myths and Folktales with Lessons for Modern Times”
- “The Best Mythology and Folklore Podcasts for Myth-Lovers”
- “10 Myths and Folktales with Surprising Origins”
This niche covers the topic of astrology and its applications. This can include horoscopes, analyses of astrological trends, and profiles of astrologers.
- “10 Astrology Tips for Beginners”
- “5 Surprising Astrological Facts”
- “The Best Astrology Books and Resources for Beginners”
- “10 Astrological Signs and Their Characteristics”
- “5 Astrological Tips for a Successful Career”
- “The Top Astrology Blogs and Instagram Accounts to Follow”
- “10 Astrological Tips for Improving Your Relationships”
- “5 Astrological Predictions for the Year Ahead”
- “The Best Astrology Podcasts for Astrology Enthusiasts”
- “10 Astrological Tips for Finding Your Life Purpose”
Hopefully that has given you some ideas. You can blog about any topic you like but you are more likely to spend the time and effort required to be successful if you are enthusiastic about the topic. So pick carefully!
SEO niches tools and resources
You can use the following tools to help you research the right SEO Niche for you.
Niche keyword research tools
Having an SEO tool is essential if you want to build a successful website using organic search traffic. In addition to helping you with SEO most tools will also provide the following features:
- Keyword research – essential skill you need to learn to rank your content in search engines
- Rank tracking – track how you rank for hundreds of keywords
- Competition research – check out your competitors (see more here: Dominate Your Niche with Comprehensive Competitive Content Analysis)
- On-Page SEO checker – checks your content against 100’s of SEO issues (see more here: How to do a content quality check on your blog)
- Finds backlinks to your content (an important ranking signal), see more here: Who is linking to my site?)
SE Ranking – SEO, Rank tracking, Competition Research
Here is another affordable SEO tools worth checking out:
Hosting accounts for your website
Before you can start blogging or generating content for your website you will need a hosting provider. They provide you with a server where you website runs. They also provide management tools to monitor and maintain your website.
Although the hosting providers I’ve listed below excel at WordPress hosting they can host other types of websites.
WP Engine – high performance WordPress hosting
Read my review of WP Engine here: WP Engine Review: Grow your business with the #1 WordPress platform
- Great for e-Commerce
- Easy to scale your site
- 4 months free hosting (limited offer)
SiteGround – WordPress hosting, great for beginners
Read my review here: Secrets for using SiteGround as your global hosting provider
This is the hosting provider I use on this site. Benefits
- Fast WordPress sites using SiteGround optimisation tools and plugins
- Simple to manage your website
- Multiple plans – scale your site as you grow
- Easy to install and set up WordPress
Finding the right SEO niches can be a challenging task, but with a little research and testing, you can find the perfect niches to help your business or blog thrive. Don’t be afraid to get creative and try out different niches to see what works best for you. With the right SEO niches, you can attract the right audience and take your business or blog to the next level.
If you liked this article please share with your network. You can use the social media sharing buttons below. Thanks!