Digital content generation is the process of creating and publishing online content to attract and retain a target audience.
Website owners and bloggers struggle to get traffic to their websites. With such a vast amount of content available on the internet, not only on websites but also on social media platforms, it can be extremely challenging to capture the attention of potential visitors.
Just imagine owning a website that receives thousands of visitors every day. Your content gets shared by your visitors, receives comments, and drives sales and revenue for your business. Wouldn’t that be great?
So, how do you achieve this outcome? Well, digital content creation can help.
Now, let’s dive into the subject and discover how to write engaging, helpful and relevant digital content for your target audience.
Table of Contents
- Definition of digital content creation
- Developing a content marketing strategy
- Defining your target audience
- Creating a content plan and calendar
- Conducting keyword research and incorporating strategic keywords
- Writing unique and engaging content
- Using proofreading tools to ensure quality
- Incorporating multimedia, such as images and videos
- Including links to other articles and resources
- Organizing your content in a format that is easy to read and follow
- Promoting your digital content
- Tracking your progress and analyzing your results
- Avoiding common mistakes in digital content generation
- Final Thoughts
Definition of digital content creation
Digital content creation is the process of creating various types of content for digital platforms, such as websites, social media networks, or apps.
Digital content can be defined as any type of content that is delivered electronically. Examples of digital content are:
- audio (podcasts)
- blog posts
- website copy
- landing pages
- social media posts
- online courses
- NFT (non-fungible token)
With the abundance of information available online, it’s crucial to have captivating and knowledge-packed content that will entice people to keep coming back for more.
Digital content is valuable because it’s a way to reach and engage with your target audience in a way that traditional media can’t.
Developing a content marketing strategy
Many website owners and bloggers face challenges in attracting visitors to their websites. It’s not surprising, given the high level of competition that exists online.
Having a digital content marketing strategy helps attract visitors to your site through various means. Here are some of the benefits:
- by providing interesting and useful content that visitors enjoy
- by providing valuable content you can drive more sales and boost customer action
- establishes credibility, trust and authority with your target audience
- increases your social media following
- by growing your audience you compound your ROI (return on investment)
Read more on the benefits of content marketing here: 10 benefits of consistent high quality content
In the following sections I will go over the steps to help you develop a digital marketing strategy.
Defining your target audience
It’s important to define your niche and your target audience. If you try to write for everyone, you end up writing for no one.
First, let’s clarify what we mean by niche. A niche refers to a specific area of focus within a larger market. Instead of writing for the entire market you concentrate on a smaller, more targeted segment.
For example, instead of targeting “Yoga” you could focus on one of the following niches:
- Yoga for over 50’s
- Low impact yoga
- Yoga for mums and children
- Yoga for busy people
- Power yoga
And so on… There are many profitable niches to be found. Carry out keyword research and competition research on your niche before deciding.
Creating a content plan and calendar
Creating a content plan and calendar can be helpful for website owners and bloggers, especially if you are just starting out.
A content plan is a roadmap that outlines the type of content you will create, the topics you will cover, and how you will distribute your content.
A content calendar is a tool that helps you organize your content plan by scheduling when you will publish each piece of content. Here are some tips for creating a content plan and calendar:
- Establish your content goals: Define what you want to achieve with your content. Your goals could be to increase website traffic, generate leads, or build brand awareness.
- Audit existing content: Review your existing content to identify gaps in your content (use competitive analysis)
- Use a content calendar: A content calendar helps you organize your content plan by scheduling when you will publish each piece of content. Tip: use notion, it’s free and works great as a content calendar.
- Track your progress: Monitor your content’s performance and adjust your plan as needed to achieve your goals. I discuss this important topic more later in the article.
Your content calendar is an ongoing activity. Be sure to do a web audit of your existing content to remove/update or replace content that doesn’t fit your plan.
Conducting keyword research and incorporating strategic keywords
I’ve talked at length about the subject or keywords research. It’s a crucial skill every blogger or website owner needs to learn.
In a nutshell:
- once you have defined your niche and target audience research keywords that are important to them
- to begin with start with low difficulty and low competition keywords (so you can rank for those keywords)
- understand search intent so you can better answer readers questions and issues
- be patient, it can take a long time to rank for your content, no matter how good it is
For more on this topic, here is a keyword research checklist article that will help you.
Writing unique and engaging content
There is already a huge amount of content on the internet. To stand out from the crowd, you must offer unique and engaging content.
People are busy, they don’t have a lot of time so you need to make your content as engaging, readable, informative and useful as possible.
Moreover, this is precisely the type of content that Google seeks, which will ultimately lead to higher search rankings for your content.
I’ve written about persuasive copywriting before but here is a quick summary:
- make your content about your visitors (talk about the benefits they receive)
- address objections
- use power words
- create a sense of urgency (“buy now!”, “while stock last!”)
- use social proof (testimonials)
- use storytelling
- add a quiz or contest
There are many other persuasive techniques you can use to make your content more engaging and compelling.
Learn persuasive techniques that can increase the compelling and engaging nature of your content.
Using proofreading tools to ensure quality
Glaring spelling mistakes and bad grammar will undermine the authority and credibility of your site. It’s always worth taking the time to proofread your article for errors once you’ve finished writing.
If you don’t find the errors your readers will.
Personally, I rely on ChatGPT scripts to proofread my content. To learn more about using ChatGPT for proofreading and a variety of other copywriting tasks, check out this resource: ChatGPT prompts for Copywriters
Alternatively you can use websites such as:
Incorporating multimedia, such as images and videos
Your content doesn’t need to be limited only to text. Make your content more visually appealing by adding images and video.
Depending on your blogging platform adding a video from YouTube can be as easy as pasting in the video link into your editor.
Simple steps to embed a YouTube into your article
- Go to the video page in YouTube and click the share button
- Copy link
3. Paste link into your editor (this works for WordPress, for more on embedding YouTube videos into a WordPress blog read this resource: YouTube embed – WordPress)
Alternatively, you can click the Embed button and paste the HTML directly into your page.
Including links to other articles and resources
Nobody expects you to be an expert and authority on every topic you write about. However, including authoritative and trustworthy sources into your content can greatly enhance its credibility.
That’s why it’s important to include external links in your content to support your opinions. Users are more likely to accept your arguments if you can back them up with authoritative sources. Moreover, Google emphasizes the need to make expertise and authoritativeness clear.
Internal linking offers benefits to both your readers and search engines. It not only provides readers with additional content to explore from your site but also enhances SEO.
To learn more about the advantages of internal linking, check out this resource: benefits of internal linking.
Organizing your content in a format that is easy to read and follow
Having high-quality content alone is not enough if the presentation is poor. Google mentions in it’s SEO starter guide to write easy-to-read text.
Readers are impatient and are not willing to read through a wall of text. Provide your content in a visually appealing manner.
Tips to make your content visually appealing and easy to read:
- use short paragraphs (1-3 sentences long)
- break your content into subsections and give each section it’s own subheading
- use a casual, conversational tone
- use high constrast colors (to make it easy to read your content)
- ensure your font size is large enough to be readable by all age groups (not everyone has 20/20 vision)
- use plenty of images (but don’t forget to compress them)
- use bullet points
- bold phrases or key phrases to make your content more skimmable
- use a table of contents to aid users to quick find interesting parts of your content
This is not an exhaustive list. In short, reduce the effort needed to consume your content as much as possible.
Promoting your digital content
There are many channels available for distributing digital content, and the best ones depend on your target audience and the type of content you are distributing.
Some popular content distribution channels include:
- Video platforms (YouTube, Vimeo, Rumble)
- Niche communities
- Influencer marketing
In addition you can consider paid distribution channels:
These can be expensive but may be profitable for you depending on your business.
In addition your can consider packing up some of your content into ebooks or online courses and selling on Amazon, Gumroad or other content platform.
Chose the right platform to ensure your content gets in front of your target audience.
Tracking your progress and analyzing your results
To effectively produce, audit, and monitor your content creation, it’s necessary to invest in suitable software. The ideal tool should be capable of performing the following tasks:
- SEO audit (ideally provide you with weekly automated SEO reports of your site)
- Keyword research
- Competition research
- Ranking trackers (track your ranking positions in Google for 100+ keywords)
Ideally, the software should be both affordable and offer great value, while providing as many benefits as possible.
Multiple tools are available for website owners to choose from. Personally, I use SE Ranking and find it to be an excellent tool for smaller websites. Feel free to explore the keyword research report below using the widget. Simply type in a keyword, such as “keto diet.”
The premium SEO tools on the market are:
I also wrote about 3 affordable SEO tools before.
Your SEO tool is an investment in your business. The cheapest tool is unlikely to be the best. I recommend a mid-tier tool as a good compromise.
Avoiding common mistakes in digital content generation
Here are some tips to avoid common mistakes in digital content generation:
- Address your target audience: This is necessary to creating content that resonates with them. Research their interests, pain points, and preferences to tailor your content to their needs.
- Be original and authentic: Don’t copy or summarize other creators work. Instead, create unique and original content that adds value to your audience.
- Provide value: Ensure that your content is informative, helpful, and educational. Offer solutions to common problems and answer your readers’ questions.
- Produce easy-to-read content: Use subheadings, bullet points, and lists to make your content easy to read and scan. Include images, graphics, charts, infographics or other visual elements to break up text and make your content more engaging.
- Proofread: Check for grammar and spelling mistakes before publishing your content.
- Use calls-to-action (CTAs): Encourage your readers to take action, such as subscribing to your newsletter or following you on social media.
- Diversify: Mix up your content (blog articles, infographics, videos, audio and social media posts)
I’ve written about digital content creation mistakes before.
Digital content creation is an essential tool to generate organic search traffic to your website. Creating quality digital content that resonates with your target audience is crucial for attracting and engaging consumers, increasing visibility online, and generating revenue for your business.
Here is a quick recap:
- pick a niche and research your target audience
- produce interesting and useful content that your readers enjoy
- do keyword research and competition research to find opportunities and content gaps
- proofread your content before publishing
- promote on social media and other channels
Thanks for reading. If you found this article helpful, please consider sharing it with your network by using the social media sharing buttons below. Thank you for your support!